Dumb things I do

My sister subscribes to Greenling. It's a produce delivery deal that's really cool. Sometimes they throw extra stuff in her shipment that she doesn't use, so she shares with me! :)
Yesterday, they sent ginger. She didn't want it, so she brought it to me. Yay! I figured I'd be clever and find a recipe for it. I looked online and found an easy recipe for candied ginger. I even had all the stuff for it here. Score!
So I peeled the ginger, sliced the ginger, and boiled the ginger. But it didn't smell like ginger. I thought that was weird, but I've never used fresh ginger for anything, so I figured that was normal. I went ahead and candied the stuff.
But it didn't look right.
Guess what??
There's this potato-like root called sunchoke that looks almost exactly like ginger.

Until it's candied.




Comments