One of My Better Plans

  Aiden is turning 10 on Tuesday. When I asked him what he wanted to do for his birthday, he said, "I just want to have the cousins and Emma and Alex come for a sleepover." That was certainly doable, and much cheaper than going to a megapartyjumpygameybowling warehouse thingy.
 
Emma and Alex live three hours away, and the cousins live in south Austin. We were able to find a weekend (THIS ONE!) when everyone was available. And something to do. What will we do with six kids that won't bore them to tears or have them finished in two minutes saying, "what can we do now?"
 
  What else? A massive food fight in the backyard. Oh yeah.

  I certainly didn't want to be wasteful, but I know I have stale crackers in the pantry. I'm sure other people do too...how to find those people without looking completely odd was my first challenge. So I sent a mass email. And boy, did my coworkers come through for me! I got cereal, bread crumbs, frozen veggies, cookies, crackers, and SPAGHETTIOS!

  ***We interrupt this blog for an unforeseen circumstance. As the party was being planned, a dance was announced at the middle school. Some of you may know that Emma and Austin are the same age. I jokingly mentioned to Austin that maybe Emma should go with him to the dance to meet his friends. He thought it was a great idea, (Oops! Big mouth, Mama.) But yes, that was also arranged. So Austin and Emma have now been to a dance together. Just not "together."***

  Back to the party. While the middle schoolers were at the dance, the boys played LEGO games, Wii games, and generally messed around. When Emma, Austin, Shari and I got back, (yes. BOTH mamas chaperoned!), they all watched Cars 2 and ate popcorn and movie candy. Like vultures. I'm incredibly surprised we didn't have any stomach mishaps.

  Everyone survived until morning. I stuck breakfast in the oven, and everyone ate as they woke up. They watched TV for a little bit, until it warmed up outside and the San Saba grandparents could get here. The kids still had no idea what was coming. They did see the big pile of food on the table outside. I told them it was for an art project.

  At about ten, I had them put on old clothes and ponchos and have a seat at the picnic table. I explained that we were going to make a beautiful art project with the food on the table. We gave them all small plastic cups and some spoons. I dipped my cup into the bowl of Spaghettios, threw them in the air all over them, and told them to get after it. :)

  When they finally figured out what was going on, mayhem ensued. And it was TOTALLY worth it. so thank you all for your donations of food (or former food) items, and enjoy the pictures...


Before.
 Look past Aiden's terrorized expression,
(Alex didn't hit him), and see the piles of food. :) 

Art project. ;) 






Emma's such a good sport. Thanks for the Spaghettios,
Mr. Howze!







And one of the dance. Just in case you were curious...sorry about the red-eye. I can't find editing software on this computer at the moment. ;)


Comments

  1. I love the food fight idea. You did a good job and I am sure the chickens enjoyed the left overs:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment